Welcome!

Welcome and thank you for joining me in lightening up.
Please enjoy my collection of stories which serve only to make you smile or laugh - you choose.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dental Dehydration

In my last post I shared about my pitiful crying habits.  I did not mention the one place I am guaranteed to cry, whether warranted or not… the Dentist.  I lose more fluids in the form of tears in the dentist’s chair than I ever did in sweat on the hockey field.

There are two reasons for this:  1.  Despite the ability to use it to a larger degree than most, I have a small mouth. It is difficult for the dentist to perform the most routine tasks, such as inserting films for x-rays.  That process makes me cry every time, even when they switch to the child-size films.  2.  I had a bad experience in the dentist’s chair when I was a teenager.  I had a bad cavity needing to be filled and, in the process of doing so, there was pain.  There was also a dentist who did not believe I was in pain.

I had already been crying because of the x-rays necessary prior to the procedure, so my nerves were at their peak.  The dentist had given me a shot of Novocain and went to work after it took affect; or rather… he thought it should have taken affect.

“Raise your hand for me if this hurts, ok?  I’ll stop immediately,” he promised.

He asked me to open my mouth and went in with his tool.  Up went my hand.

“I barely touched you,” he assured me.  “Did that really hurt?”

I’m sure he thought I was just scared but it really did hurt.  Another shot of Novocain was administered and we waited again for it to take affect.

The same thing happened again… and then again after the third shot.  By that point he was convinced the pain was in my head.  Still, he gave one more shot but explained that it was the maximum he would offer for the procedure of drilling and filling my cavity.

Finally, he went to work.  When my hand went up he ignored it and kept working.  When the other hand went up he offered his apology but insisted he was almost done.  My face, ears, neck and hair were getting wet from my tears.  Before long I would be severely dehydrated.

Next, I heard the words that I will never forget and what makes me nervous each time I sit down in a dentist’s chair, “Now brace yourself… I am right at a nerve and in order to finish cleaning this out I will probably hit it.  But we’re so close to being done with this part it will only take a few seconds.”

Oh the insanity!  Everything went white.  Both hands were up in the air and there was no way of bracing myself.  I slid down the chair but he was up to the challenge.  He followed me and completed his task.  I ended up with my feet on the floor and my back against the bottom half of the chair.  This is no exaggeration.

After that ordeal I was terrified of dental appointments and did not follow the rules of twice per year.  In fact, I refused to go back again – EVER!

Sadly, I was forced back by a friend who was concerned when I had some serious pain in a tooth and was experiencing swelling.  I was 22 years old, unemployed and had no dental insurance.  This good friend of mine was sure the situation was serious and she got me an appointment with her dentist, assuring me he was sweet and gentle and would make sure I was at ease.  She even offered to pay for the appointment.

I was experiencing a swelling I had never thought was possible so I agreed to go.  The right side of my face was swollen from my cheekbone straight down to my clavicle bone (at the shoulder) and it was as hard as a rock.  I knew this was not normal but I had clung to the hopes of it clearing up on its own.

I sat in the dentist’s chair and immediately began crying.  I was terrified.  My friend was right though; the dentist was sweet and gentle and did his best to assure me he had no intention of doing anything until I was relaxed.  Hearing that made me relax a little since I believed it meant he wouldn’t do anything because I would surely tense up at the slightest attempt.

When I opened my mouth for him to check out the situation he took all of 15 seconds to make his assessment.  “Okay, you can close your mouth.  I won’t be doing anything today except putting you on antibiotics.”

I can’t tell you how relived I was… for all of 10 seconds.  “But you need to be admitted to the hospital.”

“What?!?” I screamed… in my head.  “I can’t pay for that.  What in the world is…?”

Seeing my reaction he explained the situation.  “You have a severe infection causing the swelling and it is called cellulitis.  It’s not often seen in the head and neck area and you are in danger of suffocating if it continues to worsen.  It is currently at one side of your throat but if it travels past the middle your airway will be cut off.  In the hospital you will be monitored and they’ll do what is necessary if you reach that point.”

Through my tears I explained my situation.  He listened and gently gave me the strictest of instructions, but allowed me to go home.  The antibiotics were strong and an appointment was made for the next day to remove the tooth causing the problem, but not by him.  I went to an oral surgeon.

At the surgeon’s office I was just as terrified as ever.  After three shots of Novocain my nerves were still frazzled and I tensed up at the slightest approach he made for my mouth – propped open by several rubber wedges.

“Okay… we need to give her the Nitrous,” he instructed.  “I won’t do anything with her so nervous.”

What a wonderful invention!  I was instantly transformed from a complete and utter mess to someone who was blissfully silly.  The nurse who administered it and monitored its affect on me later confessed she kept me talking simply to hear me.  “This stuff is wonderful!”  “I need to get me one of these tanks for my house.” And “I know I didn’t make a good impression on Dr. Cutie yet but he should know how much I love him for this stuff!” were comments she repeated back to me. 

All of the staff had gotten a kick out of it but I didn’t care one bit.  I actually enjoyed something that took place at the Dentist.

When the surgeon finally performed the surgery I was aware of everything he was doing, despite how tightly I closed my eyes.  He talked me through it and assured me I was doing well.  I didn’t flinch once and didn’t tense up at all.  As a coping mechanism I counted while he did his job.  I was impressed with how quickly he worked.

“If I had known it was only going to take you 114 seconds from start to finish I could have tried to endure it without all the drama,” I shared with him when he removed the props and I could talk again.

“You were counting?” he laughed.

“Yup.  I’m impressed,” I commended in my slurred speech.

He and the nurse laughed and she stayed while I came down from my high.  I’m sure I was the talk of the office but I really didn’t mind.  I never mind being laughed at for something that really is funny and not demeaning.  I also didn’t mind because my ordeal was over. 

The recovery was a piece of cake compared to the time in the chair – it always is for me.  I still have my issues with going to the dentist but there is a big bold note in my chart that says “NOVOCAIN DOES NOT ACHIEVE NECESSARY RESULTS!”  There is another one that says, “NITROUS OXIDE IS NECESSARY FOR ANY/ALL PROCEDURES”.  I didn’t ask for them to be put in the file, I just happened to see them there while waiting during my last appointment.

I was in search of a new dentist at one point and began calling a few who advertised a gentle approach.  Apparently, even this process makes me nervous and when one receptionist answered I asked if they were accepting new patients and then blurted out, “Does your Dentist have gas?”

She giggled at the question but then answered very professionally, “As a matter of fact, yes, he does.”  Because of her I knew the place was a potential fit for me.

So… why do I tell you this story?  Well… I guess it’s to encourage everyone out there who shares my feelings about being nervous at the mere suggestion of a dentist appointment.  If your fear is not as intense as mine then you can be encouraged that at least you are not as bad off as the crazy lady who writes this blog. 

If you have a greater fear than I do of all things dental I am so sorry for you.  Next time you have to go to the dentist please contact me and we’ll get together.  I will gladly listen as you tell me your fears while we share a tank of Nitrous Oxide.

No comments:

Post a Comment